Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Importance of Night Driving...


Night driving. It's one of life's greatest pleasures, depending on what road you take. Every Friday night, I pick the kids up from my mother in law's, then I decide to take the slightly longer road home. This road is a country highway, winding between huge fields and farmhouses. No streetlights. Hi beams required.

The kids always pass out within the first 5 minutes, which makes for a quiet, fight free kind of drive. This is MY time. So what do I do, enjoy the peace and quiet? No. I listen to music. Not just any music. No loud, heavy rock for me. Not at night. Not classical. Sweet Jesus, I don't want to fall asleep at the wheel! I'm still listening to bands like Incubus, 311, and the sort. I pick the mellow shit; the shit I would daydream to, the stuff I could fall asleep to at home in bed, if I weren't driving.

I have some favorites I listen to EVERY time. Instead of dreading the half hour drive home, I don't want it to end. I do all of my thinking on Friday nights, well, most of it. I DO think the other 6 days of the week. I just feel like this is the time when I can turn all my attention to it. I think of what could have been. What could be? What would happen if I said this instead of that?


                           This is Roads, by Blindside. GREAT night listening.

Driving a night is .... Well, I can't explain. When I graduated high school, I lived a good hour and a half away from my hometown, where all of my friends were. I lived in a small town with one streetlight, and our house was situated on top of a hill, with the view of the lake all around. Beautiful. Driving home at night? Even better. I worked a good 45 minutes away from home. To get home, we had to take Rt. 542, otherwise known as Magnolia Road. It was a country highway, dark and super curvy, with lots of big open fields, and if the moon was out and full, you could see for miles. It was awesome. Driving through the woods, tunnels of dark trees, watching for deer; it was never scary. (Although, if I were to break down in this shit, I would have peed my pants and locked every door, and waited for the escaped criminal with the hook for a hand.)


                                The Original by Incubus. I listen to this on repeat.

Anyway, before I stray too far off topic, I'm pretty curious as to what YOU listen to when you're driving at night. I have my favorites, that remind me of certain people in my life, the past and present. I feel like I'm with these people again when I'm listening, and it's just a really great/sad feeling. I'd love to hear what your suggestions are; I would love to add to my playlist!

                      
                                          Far Behind by Candle Box


                         Can't Stop, Gotta Date With Hate by Lostprophets


                                          Thank You by Chronic Future


                                         Diamonds and Coal by Incubus

This list could go on forever, but I won't put you through that. These are songs I've listened to just recently. Have any recommendations? Send them this way!



No comments: